You have the right level of light and temperature; you water the vegetables at the right time, but if you do not fertilize vegetables correctly, you are missing a major requirement. Fertilizers are a simple tool that helps you in growing healthy plants and increasing the yield.
Gardeners have huge concerns about feeding their edible veggies and herbs since these veggies will be consumed after harvest; therefore, I researched and tested organic vegetable fertilizers, and created this detailed list of the best organic fertilizer for vegetables.
Organic fertilizers are often a better choice as you will consume the vegetables later. The fewer chemicals that come in contact with the vegetables the better.
The University of Kentucky suggests applying rock phosphate and raw bone meal in addition to a balanced organic fertilizer to get to the high phosphorous level that is needed for most vegetables.
Continue reading to find an organic fertilizer your budget that will help you grow your dream garden in your backyard or kitchen.
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Best Organic Fertilizer For Vegetables
The best organic fertilizer for vegetables are:
- Best overall Organic Fertilizer – Dr. Earth Organic Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer
- Jobe’s Plant Food Vegetables & Tomato – Best Granular Vegetable Fertilizer
- Down to Earth Organic Vegetable Garden Fertilizer – Best Balanced Vegetable Fertilizer
- 1 Best Organic Fertilizer For Vegetables
- 2 Best Organic Fertilizers For Vegetables
- 2.1 1. Dr. Earth Organic Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer – Best Overall Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.2 2. Jobe’s Plant Food Vegetables & Tomato – Best Granular Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.3 3. Espoma Garden-tone Natural & Organic Herb & Vegetable Plant Food – Best Organic Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.4 4. Down to Earth Organic Vegetable Garden Fertilizer – Best Balanced Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.5 5. Tomato-tone Organic Fertilizer – Best Slow Release Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.6 6. Neptune’s Harvest Organic Hydrolized Fish & Seaweed Fertilizer – Best Seaweed Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.7 7. Fox Farm Grow Big Liquid Concentrate Fertilizer – Best Liquid Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.8 8. Neptune’s Harvest Tomato & Veg Fertilizer – Best Tomato Fertilizer
- 2.9 9. FoxFarm Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer – Best Vegetable Fertilizer for Disease Resistance
- 2.10 10. Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food Flower & Vegetable – Best Smart Release Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.11 11. AgroThrive All-Purpose Organic Liquid Fertilizer – Best Fast Acting Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.12 12. JR Peters Jack’s Classic Tomato Feed – Best Potassium Rich Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.13 13. Jobe’s Fertilizer Spikes Vegetable and Tomato – Best Fertilizer Spikes for Vegetables
- 2.14 14. Miracle-Gro Performance Organics All Purpose Plant Nutrition – Best Nitrogen Rich Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.15 15. Wiggle Worm (Worm Castings) Organic Fertilizer – Best Soil Building Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.16 16. Down to Earth Organic Bone Meal Fertilizer – Best Bone Meal Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.17 17. EarthPods Premium Garden Herbs & Vegetable Plant Food – Best Easy to Use Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.18 18. Down to Earth Blood Meal Fertilizer Mix – Best Blood Meal Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.19 19. Neptune’s Harvest Kelp Meal Multi-Purpose Plant Food –Best Kelp Meal Vegetable Fertilizer
- 2.20 20. Burpee Natural Purpose Granular Organic Food – Best All-Purpose Vegetable Fertilizer
- 3 Liquid Fertilizers
- 4 Granular Fertilizer
- 5 What Is The Difference Between Organic and Chemical Fertilizers?
- 6 Fertilizing Your Vegetables
- 7 Conclusion About The Best Organic Fertilizer for Vegetables
Best Organic Fertilizers For Vegetables
1. Dr. Earth Organic Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer – Best Overall Vegetable Fertilizer
Dr. Earth has been a reliable brand offering safe and sustainable organic products for several years. They have a wide range of products for your homegrown vegetable garden. One of our favorites is the Tomato, Vegetable, and Herb Fertilizer.
This fertilizer has an NPK of 4-6-3, meaning this gentle formula will never burn your vegetables or herbs, but it still adds plenty of nutrition to the soil. You can use this for all your winter and summer veggies.
The best time to apply this fertilizer is at the initial seed plantation but do not hesitate to reapply it during the growing season. This formula encourages root development throughout the year with all those special ingredients.
- Free from synthetic materials or chicken manure
- Suitable for potted as well as in-ground veggies
- Enriched with Trubiotic and soil microbes
- Created using natural ingredients from animal and plant matter
- Premium Organic Transparency- OMRI, NOP, CCOF, OIM
- Has a strong odor
- Few customers reported a bug infestation (fungus gnats)
2. Jobe’s Plant Food Vegetables & Tomato – Best Granular Vegetable Fertilizer
Some of us are a fan of liquid fertilizers, while others prefer granular fertilizers. If you belong to the second category, you definitely need a pack of this in your garden. Jobe’s now offers more than 200 products for the gardening world, but they have always been well-known for their wide range of fertilizers and spikes.
They have designed this product specifically according to the nutritional needs of veggies and tomatoes. With the NPK of 2-5-3, this one is suitable for both young and established plants.
This is one of the best fertilizers to use while prepping the soil for the vegetable garden. It contains the right amount of Biozome, bone meal, and processed manure. The Biozome is a special ingredient that helps in the faster breakdown of ingredients.
- Does not burn seeds or new plantings
- Safe for kids and pets
- Enhanced with Biozome to increase disease resistance and improve soil
- It causes a fuzzy mold on some plants
Click here to have a look at this fertilizer on Amazon
3. Espoma Garden-tone Natural & Organic Herb & Vegetable Plant Food – Best Organic Vegetable Fertilizer
Espoma brings a collection of products for the gardeners, each designed specifically for a special type of plant, the famous ones being berry-tone, holly-tone, tree-tone, etc.
The Garden-tone is for the herb and vegetable garden. It is created to increase your harvest and give you loads of healthy veggies and herbs.
This plant food is also 100% natural, meaning it supports organic gardening practices. The NPK ratio is 3-4-4.
Home growers usually struggle with growing their herbs, but this fertilizer will surely improve your basil, rosemary, oregano, and sage plantings to give you long-lasting results. This fertilizer should be applied only to the soil, and none of it should be left on the stem or foliage.
- Applicable to warm and cool-season crops
- Improves the nutrition and flavor of edible crops
- Free of fillers or sludges
- Can be applied prior to planting or during growth
- Few customers received damaged package
4. Down to Earth Organic Vegetable Garden Fertilizer – Best Balanced Vegetable Fertilizer
What’s better than a good quality balanced fertilizer with an equal amount of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus? This is the only product you will need if you are looking for natural, balanced fertilizer.
You can add this plant food any time during the growing season; therefore, it will work for a variety of spring and summer vegetables. Apart from the three macro-nutrients, this fertilizer also has other special ingredients and trace minerals like Kelp Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Dolomite, Feather Meal, and Alfalfa Meal.
The manufacturer has listed the application rate and method at the back of the package, which is helpful for both new and experienced gardeners.
- The box can be composted after use
- Also has 6% calcium, 0.4% iron and 1% magnesium
- OMRI certified
- Easy to apply
- Proven to multiply the yield
- Not for a large garden
- The smell might attract flies
5. Tomato-tone Organic Fertilizer – Best Slow Release Vegetable Fertilizer
If you love homegrown vegetables, you definitely need one or two varieties of tomatoes in your garden. But these tomatoes need the right nutrition to keep thriving and have juicy, red fruit at the end of the season.
The Tomato-tone can be used for all tomato varieties. It gives a balanced amount of nutrition throughout the growth cycle, so you won’t risk burning the tomato plants. The Bio-tone in this fertilizer will ensure slow feeding, and a single feeding will last for several months.
One of the common issues for tomato crops is the blossom end rot, but luckily this product will protect your plant against this with the extra 8% calcium. The fertilizer analysis is 3-4-6 with some extra ingredients like sulfur and magnesium.
- Natural and Organic
- Does not have sludge or toxic materials
- Can also be used for other vegetables
- Increases bloom for more fruit
- Long-lasting nutrition
- Awful scent
Click here to buy this organic fertilizer
6. Neptune’s Harvest Organic Hydrolized Fish & Seaweed Fertilizer – Best Seaweed Vegetable Fertilizer
This fertilizer is easily absorbed by the soil and supplied to the roots faster. It is highly recommended for leafy vegetables since it’s a natural source of nitrogen. You can apply this by hand with a watering can or use a sprayer.
Whether you grow the vegetables in a container or in raised garden beds, the fish and seaweed fertilizer will increase yield in both cases. The NPK ratio is 2-3-1. Growers have also reported that this fertilizer increases the shelf life of the homegrown vegetables means your veggies will last longer in the kitchen.
If you are planning to use this fertilizer for potted houseplants, it will give you about 64 gallons of fertilizer solution. Repeat application every 1-2 weeks for the healthiest vegetables.
- Can be applied directly to the leaves as a foliar feed
- A complete fertilization plan with all the necessary ingredients
- OMRI certified for organic use
- Fragrant and long-lasting flowers on blooming varieties
- Intended for both indoor and outdoor use
- Has a strong smell
7. Fox Farm Grow Big Liquid Concentrate Fertilizer – Best Liquid Vegetable Fertilizer
This Grow Big liquid plant food will help you grow big, flavorful vegetables. The nutrient content for this concentrate is 6-4-4, stronger than some other liquid fertilizers.
It also has Norwegian kelp, earthworm castings with some essential micronutrients to make sure you have a complete fertilization solution for all types of vegetables.
This brew will enhance the bud, flower, and fruit; therefore, make sure you feed your plants before the budding. Another feature worth mentioning is the low pH of the mix.
This helps you store the product for a longer period and prevents the fertilizer from disturbing the natural soil pH. It’s best to apply this fertilizer every two weeks, and the best part is you can use it for other houseplants too.
- Improves vegetative growth
- Foliar feeding will give your plants a better and healthy start
- Can also be used for herbs, fruit trees, and berries
- Suitable for hydroponic gardening
- Customers found chunks of sediments inside the bottle
8. Neptune’s Harvest Tomato & Veg Fertilizer – Best Tomato Fertilizer
We have already mentioned Neptune’s Fish and Seaweed fertilizer, but if you want something that’s especially for vegetables, you can opt for their Tomato and Veg Formula.
This fertilizer is also recommended for gardeners with hot summers as it helps the plants in tolerating such temperatures.
This fertilizer includes several healthy ingredients like molasses, fish, seaweed, humic acids, and yucca extract. Your plants will have bushier growth with more stalks and leaves, which increases the vegetable yield.
This formula targets root and shoot development; therefore, it can be applied as a foliar spray or poured directly into the soil.
This formula should be applied to the vegetables during the vegetative stage to supply the required NPK (2-4-2). You can use this product in combination with other formulas offered by Neptune’s Harvest.
- Enhances plant tolerance against diseases, bacteria
- Makes the plant stronger to withstand drought and temperature changes
- Can also be used for flowering plants
- Not OMRI listed
- Has a strong, unpleasant odor
9. FoxFarm Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer – Best Vegetable Fertilizer for Disease Resistance
If you want to add some nutrition to the plants and organic matter to the soil, this fertilizer will be the perfect pick. It has active soil microbes and an NPK of 5-7-3. You can use it for all types of vegetables, tomatoes, soft fruits, and berry plants.
The special bacteria are also known as the Mycorrhizal fungi, increase the root efficiency and the water distribution in the root zone.
The humic acid in this fertilizer is essential for newly planted varieties for seed germination.
- The macronutrients are great for the vegetative and flowering stage
- Plants will have stronger cells which help in fighting disease and bacteria
- The fungi will help the soil in better water retention and uptake
- OMRI listed for organic use
- Feeds new and established plants
- Balanced pH
- Not for indoor use because of the foul smell
10. Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food Flower & Vegetable – Best Smart Release Vegetable Fertilizer
This fertilizer comes in a granular form. Therefore, it’s the easiest to apply. All you have to do is sprinkle it around the soil. The best vegetables are produced after the plant has an excellent shoot and root development, and that’s exactly what this fertilizer will do.
It is an ideal fertilizer for all your perennial vegetables. The granules will continue feeding the plant for up to 4 months, so this fertilizer will save lots of time and money. The manufacturer also provides a no-burn pledge if you use it as directed.
I have been using it for my vegetables for several seasons; they definitely have a better flavor. All you have to do is work the granules into the top layer of soil and water the soil. The water will help in dissolving the nutrients.
- Does not require any type of mixing or dilution
- Long term feeding
- Improves the color of the flowers
- High NPK of 14-14-14
- Empty plastic shell remains in the soil
11. AgroThrive All-Purpose Organic Liquid Fertilizer – Best Fast Acting Vegetable Fertilizer
AgroThrive offers several fast-acting organic fertilizers. It will create instant vigor in your vegetable garden with lush, healthy vegetables. This 3-3-2 fertilizer is created with fish by-products, vegetable proteins, and special liquor.
What I like the most about this fertilizer is that 70% of the nutrients are fast release, meaning released instantly, while the remaining 30% slow-release will keep nurturing the soil after application.
The application takes no time; simply mix the concentrate with water, and it’s ready. You will have noticeable results within one week.
- 100% organic
- Money-back guarantee (90 days)
- OMRI, WSDA, CDFA listed
- Activates microorganisms in the soil
- Ensures plant protection as well as higher yields
- Can cause mushroom growth in the soil
This Tomato fertilizer is for plants that need high amounts of nutrition since the NPK is 12-15-30. You can use the measuring spoon for accurate ratio and mix the fertilizer in water before application. If you are applying it as a foliar spray, reduce the ratio to 1/3 for each gallon of water.
The micronutrients in this will create a healthy soil ecosystem, and you can use it for other vining vegetable varieties.
- Ultimate nutrients ratio for high feeding plants
- The calcium prevents blossom end rot
- Rich in potassium
- Comes with a measuring spoon
- The powder can be destroyed during shipping
- Might be expensive for growers with a large number of vegetables
13. Jobe’s Fertilizer Spikes Vegetable and Tomato – Best Fertilizer Spikes for Vegetables
If you have a small garden or few potted veggies, I would highly recommend getting this pack of 50 fertilizer spikes from Jobe’s. These spikes have a premeasured amount of nutrients; therefore, they will not burn your vegetable plants as they are the ideal time-release fertilizer.
The spikes come in a re-sealable bag so you can store them easily for later application. They include 2% nitrogen, 7% phosphorus and 4% potassium.
Similar to the regular fertilizers by Jobe’s, these spikes also have the Biozome, which improves the soil condition and nutrients availability.
- Minimal odor
- Feeds the plant slowly without the risk of root burn
- OMRI listed
- Designed to help the plants resist diseases and pests
- No waste or runoff issues
- Safe and easy to use
- The spikes can develop mold under certain circumstances
Click here to buy it on Amazon
14. Miracle-Gro Performance Organics All Purpose Plant Nutrition – Best Nitrogen Rich Vegetable Fertilizer
Whether you follow a gardening enthusiast or you are one, you might have heard about the famous Miracle-Gro products. This all-purpose plant food is a beneficial addition to your vegetable garden.
You should use this fertilizer for any plants that need high amounts of nitrogen compared to other nutrients since the NPK ratio is 11-3-8. This natural plant nutrition should be reapplied every seven days for optimum vegetable growth.
This water-soluble fertilizer is rich in bone meal and hydrolyzed soy protein.
- Instant feeding with plenty of micronutrients
- OMRI listed for organic applications
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- Can be used for small and large gardens
- The fertilizer will be ruined if stored in a hot place
- Might not dissolve properly in water
15. Wiggle Worm (Worm Castings) Organic Fertilizer – Best Soil Building Vegetable Fertilizer
One of the easiest ways to enhance plant and soil health is to add worm castings to the soil simply. This has long-term benefits compared to any other type of fertilizer. This will introduce healthy bacteria and organic matter into the soil.
The NPK ratio is 1-0-0 but do not let these numbers stop you from buying this product because it improves soil and aeration.
These worm castings will never burn the roots of seedlings and can be applied at any concentration, depending on the area you are covering.
- Rich with water-soluble nutrients that blend easily in the soil
- Can be used for hydroponics or any other indoor/outdoor garden setting
- Introduces microbes in the soil
- Slow but long term feeding
- Can cause bug infestation
16. Down to Earth Organic Bone Meal Fertilizer – Best Bone Meal Vegetable Fertilizer
This fertilizer is great for newly planted vegetables that require lots of energy to establish their roots. You can use it specifically for vegetables growing under the soil, such as carrots, onions, or turnips. You can also use it to treat phosphorus deficiencies.
This one has an NPK of 3-15-0; therefore, it does not have any potassium. But it contributes to strong root development, which guarantees fast and healthy growth.
- Great for early season crops
- OMRI listed and organic
- Ideal for bulbs or fruiting plants
- Improves water and nutrient absorption within the soil
- Also has 18% calcium
- Does not function as a complete fertilizer
17. EarthPods Premium Garden Herbs & Vegetable Plant Food – Best Easy to Use Vegetable Fertilizer
These pods are a mess-free method of fertilizing your houseplants. This one is for vegetables and herbs and helps in developing a robust root system. Repeated application will result in healthy vegetables as well as lush foliage.
You have to bury the pod near the base of the plant so that the nutrients are supplied directly to the root system. The nutrients will be released slowly without burning the plant or the roots.
The earthpods are created using eco-friendly ingredients and can be stored easily in the container.
- No measurements or mixing
- Fast application compared to other types of liquid or powdered fertilizers
- Filled with trace minerals and humates
- No urea
- Not for a large vegetable garden
18. Down to Earth Blood Meal Fertilizer Mix – Best Blood Meal Vegetable Fertilizer
Blood meal is a great source of nitrogen; therefore, it will help in feeding plants that need lots of nitrogen. This organic blood meal fertilizer will result in lush green plants with bushy foliage. You can also use it as a starting fertilizer for fruiting plants like tomatoes, peppers, etc. It dissolves in water; therefore, you can utilize it as a liquid fertilizer.
It will also help in heating the compost for faster nutrient breakdown. Be wary that blood meal can also raise the acidity within the soil.
- Nitrogen-rich with NPK of 12-0-0
- OMRI listed
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor gardens
- Can burn the plants if applied incorrectly
19. Neptune’s Harvest Kelp Meal Multi-Purpose Plant Food –Best Kelp Meal Vegetable Fertilizer
This is one of the seaweed fertilizers created with natural products for organic gardening. It adds lots of essential minerals, carbohydrates, amino acids, and vitamins to the plants.
One of the major reasons for the popularity of these fertilizers is that they are eco-friendly with no side effects for the plant, people, or planet.
Runoffs are a major issue when it comes to fertilizing in-ground houseplants, but this special fertilizer will not disturb or pollute the water table; hence it’s safe to use for vegetables grown in the garden soil.
- Keeps the veggies fresh after the harvest and prevents them from turning soft and mushy
- Mild NPK ratio (1-0-2)
- Resealable bag
- The fertilizer can spill during shipping
20. Burpee Natural Purpose Granular Organic Food – Best All-Purpose Vegetable Fertilizer
This all-purpose fertilizer is an economical choice for new and experienced gardeners because it can be used for anything in your garden, including ornamental plants or vegetables. It has a balanced nutrient ratio of 4-4-4.
Feeding a large number of plants will not be an issue because this Burpee fertilizer feeds quickly, and the nutrients will last in the soil for up to three months.
Your soil will also improve over time as the fertilizers add some soil microbes. You will also have vibrant blooms with vigorous plant growth.
- Suitable for organic gardening
- Can be used as a seed starter fertilizer
- The package can damage during transit
Liquid fertilizers can be applied in multiple ways, and they spread fast through the soil. Depending on your preference, the nutrients can be supplied via leaves or the roots. They also blend evenly within the soil. Therefore, most gardeners prefer them for ease of application.
Granular fertilizers might be cheaper in price, but they require more time for application and spread slowly. There is a possibility that the powder or granular is not distributed equally unless it’s water-soluble and applied in liquid form.
What Is The Difference Between Organic and Chemical Fertilizers?
Chemical fertilizers are concentrated; therefore, they deliver more nutrients in less time. On the other hand, organic fertilizers are slow-release and rich in soil microbes or microorganisms. Another aspect is the cost; chemical fertilizers are cheaper compared to organic fertilizers.
However, organic fertilizers have more benefits for edible crops in the long term, so even if you find them expensive initially, they will pay off in the end.
Fertilizing Your Vegetables
There are four common ways to apply fertilizers to a vegetable garden – Foliar sprays, side-dressing, broadcasting, and banding.
Keep the following key points in mind before you add anything to your vegetables. Because although fertilizers are necessary for the plants, if added incorrectly, your plants will suffer or might even die.
- It’s better to switch fertilizer types depending on the plant’s growth stage. For example, you can fertilize young plants with a liquid solution to avoid fertilizer burns, but once the plant matures, it’s safe to use a granular fertilizer.
- The dilution rate and application frequency should be according to the instructions given by the manufacturer. These instructions are usually printed on the package, but you can also refer to the manufacturer’s website. However, you can change these two parameters based on how your plant reacts to the first application.
- Do not feed the vegetables before a rainy day to avoid runoff or wastage.
- Have your soil tested before planting or fertilizing. You will know which of the nutrients are missing or low. For example, if your soil lacks nitrogen, you should opt for a nitrogen-rich fertilizer instead of a complete fertilizer.
- All vegetables do not require the same amount of fertilizer. Some are heavy feeders, while others need little feeding. For instance, plants from the beet, onion, and tomato family are heavy feeders, whereas carrots are light feeders. Therefore you have to know the nutrient needs of your plants for a successful fertilizer plan.
- There is no specific answer to when to fertilize the vegetables because each plant is unique and needs feeding based on its growth. Plants usually need feeding at the time of planting and later in the growing season. But if your vegetable plants look stunted and weak, you should revise the feeding schedule for better results.
- The feeding frequency can also vary depending on the soil type. Clayey soil needs less fertilizer, whereas a well-draining, porous mix needs to be fed often.
Conclusion About The Best Organic Fertilizer for Vegetables
To conclude, we have shared the complete list of the best organic fertilizers for vegetables and hope you will find the right one for your vegetable garden. The pros and cons listed for each product will make your decision easier.
Just remember that fertilizer is the food for your veggies, but over-fertilizing means more foliage than fruit.
Marcel runs the place around here. He has a deep passion for houseplants & gardening and is constantly on the lookout for yet another special plant to add to his arsenal of houseplants, succulents & cacti.
Marcel is also the founder of Iseli International Commerce, a sole proprietorship company that publishes a variety of websites and online magazines.
Last update on 2022-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API