Skip to Content

Is Poinsettia Poisonous to Cats? Toxic To Cats & Dogs Check

Is Poinsettia Poisonous to Cats? Toxic To Cats & Dogs Check

Sharing is caring!

Is poinsettia toxic to cats and dogs? The Christmas star is known as Euphorbia pulcherrima by its botanical name. It is the most popular festive plant. It is a tropical plant and belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family.

Is Poinsettia Poisonous to Cats?

Poinsettia is toxic to cats, dogs, and horses. Poinsettias contain chemicals that lead to mouth and stomach irritation, diarrhea, drooling, and vomiting. Call a veterinarian if your dog or cat ingests any parts of this plant.

Is Poinsettia Poisonous to Cats
Is Poinsettia Poisonous to Cats?

Poinsettia is poisonous to cats and dogs

The Christmas star is poisonous to pets and humans, according to ASCPA. The white sap found in poinsettias contains diterpenoid euphorbol esters and saponin-like essences.

Kansas State University mentions there is no proven case of poisoning. An allergic reaction from the milk sap is possible, however. It also states that it is questionable if Poinsettias contain the diterpenes toxins. This toxin is common in the Euphorbia genus.

Some sources claim it is deadly. This is incorrect, according to Rose Ann Gould Soloway from Light irritation, when ingested, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting are the effects.

Rashes caused by touching the Winter flower have also been recorded.

The Ohio State University has even conducted studies with rats. They were chosen because digestion is similar to humans. The tests revealed no toxicity to humans, says the University of California.

Symptoms of Poinsettia Ingestion

The sap in the poinsettia plant contains chemicals. It can lead to irritation of the mouth. Vomiting and diarrhea. As well as nausea.

As the Christmas Rose is poisonous to cats or dogs, consult a veterinarian and call the pet poison helpline. Dogs and cats may show similar symptoms.

Christmas plant toxicity

How to safely enjoy your poinsettias

  • Never eat any parts of the Poinsettia pulcherrima
  • Keep the plant out of reach of pets and children
  • Do not cook the plant

What if Your Cat Ingests a Toxic Plant?

If your cat ingests a toxic plant, remove the remaining parts from its mouth. Identify the plant. Inspect the animal and observe its behavior. Call a pet poison hotline. Consult a veterinarian.

Holiday plants toxic to cats and dogs

Keep these plants away from pets and children:

  • Holly
  • Mistletoe
  • Lilies
  • Poinsettia
Poinsettias are considered toxic
Poinsettias are considered toxic

Safe Holiday plants (Christmas Plants)

These houseplants are considered non-toxic:

  • Christmas cactus
  • Boston fern
  • African violet
  • Rose
  • Bromeliad
The Christmas cactus is safe for pets
The Christmas cactus is safe for pets

It is still not recommended to eat any parts of them. Plant fiber can still be toxic to pets.