The beautiful flowers of the Hibiscus are very appealing. They’re so stunning that they almost look good enough to eat. And it seems that cats think so too.
Cats are naturally curious, prompting them to nibble on the greenery of house plants. But what happens if a cat eats Hibiscus, is it dangerous?
Below we’ll discover if Hibiscus are poisonous to cats.
Table of Contents
Are Hibiscus Poisonous to Cats?
If felines eat any part of the Hibiscus, then they might become ill. Hibiscus are poisonous to cats but luckily, the effect is usually mild. That said, for peace of mind, it’s always better to get your cat medical attention if it has eaten Hibiscus.
What Happens When a Cat Eats Hibiscus
Hibiscus is a common plant that’s found in many homes and gardens. So it’s not uncommon for cats to nibble on them.
If a cat eats any part of the Hibiscus plant, leaves, flowers, or stems, then it will probably have a toxic reaction to it.
Symptoms of mild poisoning will develop pretty soon after the cat eats Hibiscus. These symptoms include anywhere between appetite loss, diarrhea, and vomiting.
Even though Hibiscus has many therapeutic uses for humans, it’s toxic to cats dogs, and horses.
Usually, Hibiscus poisoning is mild and won’t kill a cat. However, it’s vital to take your feline to the vet should any of the symptoms develop.
The vet will assess how severe the poisoning is and in mild cases, your cat may not need treatment. But in severe cases, it might need the support of IV fluids.
Mild cases should pass within 48 hours. During this critical period, ensure that your kitty pal stays hydrated and eating well.
How Can I Stop a Cat from Eating Hibiscus
If your cat goes outdoors then it’s pretty much impossible to keep it away from Hibiscus.
If you have an indoor cat and Hibiscus plants, then you must try to keep them segregated.
With this in mind, keep your plant in closed a room. Or by putting it in a high planter out of the reach of your cat.
To deter your cat from eating your Hibiscus can grow your cat some cat grass.
This way your cat won’t have to nibble on your Hibiscus when it’s feeling hungry for greens. Even if the Hibiscus’s leaves start turning yellow, it’s still unsafe for cats to consume them.
And to completely eliminate the risk of Hibiscus poisoning for an indoor cat, you should grow other houseplants that aren’t toxic to them instead.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hibiscus Poisoning in Cats
How can I stop my cat from eating Hibiscus?
It’s pretty difficult to keep an outside cat away from Hibiscus. If your cat lives indoors, try growing some cat grass for it to nibble on. And keep your Hibiscus out of reach.
Should I take my cat to the vet if it has eaten Hibiscus?
In most cases, Hibiscus poisoning in cats is mild. However, if your cat has symptoms of poisoning then you should get it checked by the vet.
Daniel has been a plant enthusiast for over 20 years. He owns hundreds of houseplants and prepares for the chili growing seasons yearly with great anticipation. His favorite plants are plant species in the Araceae family, such as Monstera, Philodendron, and Anthurium. He also loves gardening and is growing hot peppers, tomatoes, and many more vegetables.